Get the Most from Your Local SEO Plans with These 6 Tips
When people go to the internet, the vast majority start with a search engine. More than 93% of people who use the internet start their experiences there. Three-quarters of these people never scroll past the first page of their search results. This is the reason search engine optimization (SEO) techniques are so important. People are increasingly using their mobile technology to access the internet and using the “near me” feature to find goods and services. If you are a local business, you need to have a good local SEO strategy to get the attention of those people. Here are some tips to make sure yours is a successful strategy.
- Check on your current listing. If you are a local business, you need to make sure you are listed that way. A local business is considered to be one with a brick and mortar establishment or one that does work exclusively in one area. Businesses that operate online and do some work in a city or region are not considered to be local businesses. Before you work on your local SEO plans, you need to nail this aspect of things down. Having a local address and phone number is key to the classification as a local business. Do a search for yourself and see where you are currently listed and how your listings look.
- Consistency is your friend. As with advertising, repetition is key to your local SEO success. You want to use the same format for your information (name, address, phone number), every time you list it. What you have on your signage at your business should look the same as what you have on your website and Facebook page. Your online materials should have the same information as your print advertising and on your social media pages. You want everything to work together.
- List your business everywhere. You should have your business is all local directories so search engines can find you. These local directories are crucial for your local SEO efforts. These directories include Google Business and Yelp. When people are looking for the products or services you offer in your area, you want them to find you. All local SEO strategies should include these directories.
- Put your keywords in your social media posts. Does your business use Twitter and Facebook a lot? Search engines index social media posts so if you have your keywords in your tweets, you expand their reach. When you are thinking about your keywords, think about how you describe your business. If you have your keywords in your posts, they will gain a larger audience and get your business more exposure. Twitter is also indexed by Google so when people search for the goods or services that you provide, if you have tweeted about them, they will find those tweets.
- Pick the right keywords. Including your location in your keywords can help a lot. When you are talking about local SEO, if you are technical support company in Chicago, if you use the keyword, “Mac support Chicago” you will find more success than just using the phrase, “Mac support.” When people are looking for services and products, they often want to find what is near them. This is a good way to have your business come up in their searches.
- Content is still king. Good content will help advance your brand and bring your business up in the search engine rankings. Make your content useful for your clients and customers and sprinkle your keywords through it liberally. Part of your local SEO plan should be to have new content going up on a regular basis. This helps you expand your audience and build your brand. Make sure you put your keywords in all of the important parts of your content. They should be in the URL, the meta description, the name of the posts and throughout the content itself.
Local SEO strategy often seems like a foreign and strange concept but it is not really. People are using their mobile devices when they are out to find local goods and services. You can grow your brand and build your customer base with the right local SEO plan.